Monday, February 25, 2013
A new trial is expected to commence in October.
A mistrial was declared in the Jason Scott case Monday for “technical reasons,” according to the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s office. Scott, 28, is facing several charges in Prince George’s County, including two counts of first-degree murder in the 2009 slayings Largo residents Deloris Dewitt and her daughter, Ebony Dewitt. The bodies of the mother and daughter were found burning in a vehicle not far from the family's Largo home. A Prince George’s County detective testified Monday for the state, and during the course of his testimony, he referred to Scott being involved in multiple home invasions, according to John Erzen, a spokesperson for the state’s attorney’s office. The detective's testimony resulted in the judge …
Thursday, January 24, 2013
Bryant Jersovit Jones was found guilty of kidnapping, second degree assault and false imprisonment.
Bryant Jersovit Jones was sentenced this week to 40 years in prison on multiple charges of domestic violence. The Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s office said Jones, 23, and the victim checked into a hotel in Anne Arundel County in June of 2009. The two, who were involved in a romantic relationship, had been fighting all day. Prosecutors said Jones proceeded to tie the victim to a chair to keep her from leaving the room, though she did try to escape when he left the room for a period of time. Jones then “chased her down and threw her into the car,” and then drove around for two and a half hours beating the victim, prosecutors said. The victim was able to crawl out of the vehicle at a Bowie Exxon station when Jones stopped to …
Thursday, January 3, 2013
The former agent could face up to 13 years in prison.
A former FBI agent that was convicted of motor vehicular manslaughter is set to be sentenced Friday. Adrian Johnson will go before a judge on Jan. 4 at 1:30 p.m. In October 2012, a jury found Johnson guilty of motor vehicular manslaughter; homicide by motor vehicle while intoxicated; and causing a life-threatening injury while impaired by alcohol, according to the Prince George's State's Attorney office. In 2011, Johnson was speeding in his car when he struck 18-year-old Lawrence Garner, Jr.'s car and killed him. Johnson faces more than 13 years in prison. Prince George’s County Circuit Court Judge Michael Pearson will preside over the sentencing.
Friday, September 7, 2012
A 16-year-old boy received maximum sentence for his crime.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Ben Gross
Friday, September 7, 2012
William Fitts, 16, of District Heights, has been sentenced to 60 years in prison for the August 2011 slaying of 92-year-old Thelma Steele, according to a statement released by the Prince George’s County Deputy State’s Attorney’s office. “This was an egregious crime against one of our seniors and we are very pleased that Mr. Fitts received the maximum sentence,” said State’s Attorney Tara Harrison-Jackson. “There was absolutely no motive for this crime that we are aware of and that makes it even more horrific.” Steele's body was discovered in her home Aug. 15, 2011. She had been stabbed multiple times. An investigation by the Prince George's County Police found that Fitts had used Steele’s credit card to purchase “organic marijuana” off …
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
To face charges of telephone misuse, Neil Prescott is set to appear in court on Aug. 30.
Neil Prescott, the Crofton man who made headlines three weeks ago in what police called an "averted threat" incident, was released from the hospital Tuesday, according to online court records. Prescott, 28, was ordered to remain with his parents in Parkton—with no electronic monitoring—by a Prince George’s County Mental Health Court judge, reported The Washington Post. He faces one count of telephone misuse related to threatening calls he allegedly made. The misdemeanor charge carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $500 fine. A hearing in Upper Marlboro is set for Aug. 30, according to online court records. Anne Arundel County police announced they took a man into custody during a news conference on July 23, but did not …
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Charges against the Crofton man were announced during a press conference Wednesday by the state's attorney and police chief of Prince George's County.
UPDATE (2:30 p.m.)—Neil Prescott of Crofton was charged with telephone misuse related to an averted threat incident last week in which he allegedly made threatening calls to his workplace. The announcement was made Wednesday afternoon by Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela D. Alsobrooks and Prince George’s County Police Chief Mark Magaw at the county courthouse in Upper Marlboro. Alsobrooks said that Section 3-804 was the only Maryland law under which Prescott could be charged because the state does not have a law against making threats by phone. The charge of telephone misuse, which is a misdemeanor in the state, carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison and a $500 fine. Prescott won't be arrested until his release …
Friday, October 21, 2011
Two teens and another man were sentenced after the incidents, which affected more than 300 people in Bowie and other parts of the county.
The three people charged last year with shooting BB guns at cars in Bowie, Springdale, Cheverly and Upper Marlboro were sentenced today to a year and half in prison. Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks made the announcement today after a judge sentenced the men to prison for shooting BB guns at people, cars and other property between August and November 2010. Three victims were hit by pellets from the gun and more than 300 people in Prince George’s County were affected by the shooting, according to a release from the district attorney's office. In August, 21-year-old Brandon Dominique White of Glendale, 17-year-old Anthony Spencer Middleton of Springdale, and 17-year-old Devon Jamal Johnson of Upper Marlboro pleaded …