With hundreds of traffic signals still out and downed tree limbs blocking Metro routes, Monday's commute is shaping up to be especially bad as the Washington, DC region struggled to recover from Friday's powerful storms.
The Maryland State Highway Administration is urging commuters to take public transportation as they head into work Monday, while Metro warned of rail and bus delays.
According Prince George's County officials, a dozen traffic lights are non-operational on county roads, while 54 lights remain dark on roads managed by the SHA. (A list of intersections can be found at the bottom of this post.)
SHA is warning commuters who need to drive to leave early and expect delays.
“This is a very serious situation and drivers need to be patient and allow extra time to commute in the morning as many traffic signals may still be without power,” said SHA spokeswoman Melinda Peters in a statement.
“At a signaled intersection where traffic lights are not operating it is imperative to treat it as a four-way stop, but remain extra cautious of other drivers that may think they have the right-of-way.”
Meanwhile, Metro announced Sunday that delays could be widespread Monday. About two dozen Metrobus routes are detouring around downed power lines, trees and other storm damage, according to a Metro news release.
Metro has enough third-rail power to support the rail system, but trains may need to run under speed restrictions if more commercial power is lost, according to the release.
All 86 stations will open Monday, but riders may notice "offline station equipment, including escalators, platform displays, lighting and PA systems" at some stations running on backup power systems.
Metro is advising riders to sign up for MetroAlerts to receive email or text message notification of delays.
Major intersections that do not have a functioning traffic light in Prince George's County:
- Allentown Road at Steed Road
- Woodyard Road at Mike Shapiro Drive
- Woodward Road at Dower House Road
- Woodyard Road at Marlboro Pike
- Coventry Way at Branch Avenue/MD Route 5 Access Ramps
- Mitchellville Road at Excalibur Drive
- Mitchellville Road at Northview Drive
- Mitchellville Road at Mount Oak Road
- Garrett Morgan Boulevard at Garrett Morgan Metrorail Station
- Garrett Morgan Boulevard at Ridgefield Road
- Adelphi Road at Toledo Road
- Marlboro Pike at Donnel Drive
- MD Route 5 (Branch Avenue) at Naylor Road
- MD Route 210 (Indian Head Highway) at the 5500 Block of Livingston Road
- MD Route 210 (Indian Head Highway) at Fort Washington Road
- MD Route 458 (Silver Hill Road) at Saint Barnabas Road
- MD Route 201 (Kenilworth Avenue) at River Road
- MD Route 1(Baltimore-Washington Boulevard) at Madison Avenue
- MD Route 197 (Laurel-Bowie Road) at Montpelier Road
- MD Route 197(Laurel-Bowie Road) at Contee Road
- MD Route 197 (Collington Road) at MD Route 301 (North Crain Highway)
- MD Route 450 (Annapolis Road) at Carters Lane
- MD Route 450 (Annapolis Road) at MD Route 301 (North Crain Highway)
- MD Route 450 (Annapolis Road) at Forbes Boulevard
- MD Route 212 (Powder Mill Road) at Old Gunpowder Road