.

Victim Identified in Fatal Upper Marlboro House Fire

Firefighters found the woman unconscious in her home early Sunday morning, after they extinguished the blaze.

Prince George's fire officials have confirmed that a woman found in an Upper Marlboro house fire early Sunday morning has passed away.

The fire in a two-story single family home in the 12800 block of Peachleaf Court started around 3 a.m. started in the basement, Prince George's County Fire Department Spokesman Mark Brady said.

Kettering and Largo area firefighters were dispatched to the scene, Brady said, after an alarm monitoring company notified them of a signal they received for an activated smoke alarm.

Although firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze in the basement, they found Deidre Lynn Young, 48, unconscious in the home. Young was without a pulse and not breathing, he said, but she was treated on the scene and paramedics got her heart beating again before taking her to Prince Georges Hospital Center in Cheverly.

According to officials, she suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on a third of her body as well as smoke inhalation.

However, Young succumbed to her injuries late Sunday night, despite the efforts of firefighters, paramedics and hospital staff.

Fire investigators said the fire began due to a combination of improper use of an electrical power strips, extension cord and combustibles on top of the power strips. The fire was officially ruled accidental. Fire loss is estimated at $30,000.  

Brady said the death is a tragic incident, but offered tips to help keep your home safe.

  • Have working smoke alarms on every level of your home, test them monthly.
  • Plan and practice a home escape that includes 2 ways out of every room and a safe place to meet outside.
  • Always follow manufacturers instructions on electric appliances, power strips and extension cords; especially the areas of the manual that provide notes of warning and cautions.

If any citizen or business would like a firefighter to come to their house to inspect smoke alarms, CO detectors and receive information on fire safety items, including escape plans, please call our Safety First – Everyone Goes Home program at 301-864-SAFE (7233).

Updated at 7:06 p.m. to reflect safety tips and victim's name.

patricia October 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM
This woman has a name. Her name is Deidra Young.
Sonia Dasgupta (Editor) October 15, 2012 at 11:01 PM
It was not confirmed by police officials when we initially reported it. I'll update now. Thanks!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something