A Bowie man likely died of smoke inhalation and burns in a fire earlier this month at a college rental property, authorities said Friday. The fire’s cause was probably an accident and began in the kitchen, Gazette.Net reports.
Lateef Gazal, 23, of Bowie died in a Feb. 14 fire in Frostburg. Gazal was a student at Frostburg State University majoring in business, according to Oliver Alkire, senior deputy state fire marshal.
Gazal shared the residence with three others; two escaped with minor injuries and the third was not at home at the time of the fire.
Alkire told Gazette.Net the rental house had been inspected by the city in December 2013, and no code violations were found. A private inspection was done in September 2013 at the property owner’s behest also found no code violations.
Smoke alarms were present in the home, but investigators could not verify if they were operating, authorities said.