Forever homes are needed for 41 rabbits rescued Tuesday from a house fire, say county officials, who warn the animals are not trendy Easter gifts.
According to the Prince George’s County Fire Department blog, the bunnies were saved from a house fire in the 6600 block of Adrian Street in New Carrolton. A resident awoke from an afternoon nap, saw smoke, and called 911.
Firefighters battled a blaze in the basement of the single-family house. Fire investigators believe a burning log shifted in the fireplace and fell out, igniting nearby combustible materials. The home did not have a working smoke alarm. Damage from the fire was estimated at $20,000.
The homeowner escaped from the house before fire crews arrived and sought shelter at a neighbor’s house. He is displaced and was assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit with temporary shelter.
Officers from the County Animal Management Division collected 41 rabbits that survived the fire. The homeowner has no place to maintain his pets and has relinquished ownership of the rabbits. Animal Management officials are seeking homes for the pets.
One Animal Management official said, “Rabbits galore! We’ve just received a huge delivery of bunny rabbits that need homes. We’re discounting their adoptions to $30 each, which includes spay/neuter. Consider this fur-ever pet as an alternative to a cat or dog, but please be aware that they need a commitment from you for their lifetime, not just a trendy thing to get the kids for Easter.”
For information on how to adopt one of the rabbits call the Animal Shelter at 301-780-7201.