Memorial Day Grilling Safety Tips
A list of grill safety tips provided by the Prince George's County Fire and EMS.
Firing up the grill today? Here are some grilling safety tips from the Prince George’s County Fire and EMS:
Basic Grill Safety
- Grills must never be used indoors; the fumes create carbon monoxide which become highly toxic in enclosed areas.
- Grills must be kept at least 15 feet from any structure or combustible materials.
- Never leave a lit grill unattended.
- Never wear loose fitting clothing that could catch on fire.
- Never use gasoline once the grill has been ignited (never add more fuel to the fire).
- Grills should be kept on a level surface away from the house, garage and landscaping.
- Keep children away from the grill.
- Don’t grill on decks or in garages.
Charcoal Grill Safety
- Charcoal produces carbon monoxide (CO) when it is burned. This colorless, odorless gas can reach toxic levels in a closed environment. Each year people are injured and die as a result of these fumes from grills used indoors.
- Never burn charcoal inside of the home, even if ventilation is provided.
- Never store a grill indoors with freshly used charcoal. Allow the charcoal to cool 48 hours before disposing.
- Never store charcoal outside where it can get wet. When charcoal dries, it becomes a flammable solid, creating a fire hazard.
- Dispose of grill ashes in a safe fashion. Never place hot ashes in paper or plastic bags, or plastic containers. Use metal containers.
Gas Grill Safety
- Propane and natural gas barbecues are very popular. Like any gas-fired appliance, they can be dangerous if not used properly.
- All gas lines, valves and connections on a gas grill should be periodically inspected to detect leakage (if a leak is detected, the grill should not be used until it is repaired).
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations.
- Check for gas leaks. If you smell gas, immediately turn off the gas and don’t attempt to light the grill until the leak is fixed.
- Keep lighted cigarettes, matches or open flames away from a leaking grill.