Wondering what's open to do Labor Day? There are lots of nearby possibilities for you or the family (beyond shopping and movies). Here are a few options:
Parks & pools:
- If you're thinking of enjoy some time outside in the end-of-summer weather, you're in luck: Prince George's County Parks, Maryland State Parks and U.S. National Parks will all be open.
- County outdoor pools, open through Labor Day (weekends only, including Labor Day). They include Ellen Linson Swimming Pool; Glenn Dale Splash Park; Hamilton Splash Park; J Franklyn Bourne Swimming Pool; Lane Manor Splash Park and North Barnaby Splash Park.
- County Sports Facilities are open.
- Amusement park Six Flags America and Hurricane Waterpark will also remain open.
Exhibits & tours:
- Bladensburg Waterfront Park, new Battle of Bladensburg Visitor Center with exhibits; paddle boat and canoe rentals.
- Anacostia River Tours & Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens Canoe Tours (Reservations required; Ages 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult).
- Ft. Washington National Park buildings will be open 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary, open 10 a.m - 4 p.m.
- Watkins Regional Park (Old Maryland Farm at park closed Labor Day; Call 301-218-6700 for more info.)
- Oxon Cove Park & Oxon Hill Farm, National Park facility (near National Harbor complex).
- Accokeek Foundation/National Colonial Farm. Animal farm; open dawn to dusk.
For a list of Prince George's Parks and facilities holiday schedule, visit Prince George's Dept. of Parks and Recreation.
For a list of area, state and national parks, visit the Prince George's Conference and Visitors Bureau.