A natural gas leak was reported at the Magic Johnson Capital Center 12 movie theater in Largo this afternoon, leading to the evacuation of the building, officials say.
According to Ron Bridges, a spokesperson for the Prince George’s County Fire and EMS Department, Washington Gas has been alerted and is en route to the theater.
The evacuation of the theater and surrounding buildings is precautionary, Bridges said, as it is an outdoor gas leak.
He said he does not anticipate that the buildings will be shut down for a long period or that this will cause any major inconvenience or issue to residents who frequent the outdoor mall.
The department is unsure of the cause of the gas leak at this time, according to Bridges.